You may be hurting your mailing list growth, unknowingly, using these words.
I was recently looking around on a travel website and noticed that they had a newsletter. I was intrigued for a split-second until I saw the words “Subscribe to our newsletter”. My interest went from 0 to 100 and back again just as quickly. And that’s all that was on the optin form – the title that they had a newsletter and a button to subscribe.
This isn’t an uncommon problem.
Some people may feel that it’s direct and to the point. Some people may feel it’s a non issue, but the truth is…..
There’s no faster way to kill your subscriber list growth than using these words in the signup form of your newsletter.
Here’s why this phrase can destroy it so quickly:
- It’s Boring!! It doesn’t get the reader excited to sign up or gain their interest in you or your company. There’s nothing enticing about using that phrase.
- There’s so much content online that it’s really important that your lead magnet (yes you should have a free offer) does just that; magnify your reader to your content!
- No one wants to put their email all over the internet needlessly. They need a reason to give it to you. It’s an exchange – their email for your freebie.
So what works on your sign up form to grow your subscriber list?
- A description about the lead magnet’s benefits to your audience.
- An image to visually represent it.
- A button with a call-to-action label.